Mr. Skalinder is dedicated to both the highest levels of choral and vocal excellence and the development of student musical independence through readily applicable knowledge and skills. The result is a suite of Kelly High School ensembles that are focused on student leadership – singers learn deliberately, proactively and collaboratively with and from one another. The Kelly choral experience guides each student to not just the discovery of her or his singing voice, but to her or his human voice as responsible, thoughtful, productive young women and men.
Mr. Skalinder has also served as assistant director of the CPS All-City High School Chorus and developed the largest All-City regional ensemble as director of the CPS All-City High School Chorus Southwest.
Awards & Accolades
- Best of the Day, IHSA Solo & Ensemble
- Ranked #4 in state, IHSA Music Sweepstakes
- Superior Ratings, IHSA Solo & Ensemble
- Superior Ratings, IHSA Organizational
- Semifinalist, national Harmony Sweepstakes
- IHSA Music Sweepstakes top 20 ranking 7 out of 8 years
- Superior Ratings, CPS Choral Festival
- Honor Superior Ratings, CPS Solo & Ensemble
- Featured ensemble at Voices of the Future
- Featured on ABC7 News
Kelly vocal ensembles have been fortunate to share the stage with The Lakeside Singers, Music of the Baroque, the Soul Children of Chicago and have performed for the Chicago Board of Education and at numerous school and community events throughout the city of Chicago. Students readily volunteer their talents to bring beauty to weddings and funerals in their Brighton Park neighborhood and are featured in two Kelly musical theater productions each year.